Monday, October 29, 2007

Bad Blogging in Germany



First off I want to say that I am a loser. We need to buy a memory card for our digital but we have not because, for lack of a better word, lazy. We should have many more pictures, but we do not yet. We will soon though and I will posting away. Now that we have lived here for 2 months, I can safely say what a beautiful country this is. It is so rich in history and I am extremely anxious about getting out more and doing more things and seeing more things. That being said I would like to let everyone know how everything has been and what not.
Nari and Dita did really well on both flights. Nari did expieriance some issues when the first plane landed, but after that it was all good. My high school german only went so far when we got here. I am trying to not be so timid when speaking to germans, but it is so hard because I know I sound like a fool. Lucky for us, so far the Germans we have met have spoken english. What does that say about us huh? hehe. When we first got here we were stuck on post. We had no car and no money so it made things a little difficult to leave. We have been to downtown Mannheim and it is like nothing I have really seen before. It is a big city, but I cannot even compare it to New York, Chicago, or New Orleans (3 large cities I have been to). We rode down on the Strassenbahn (street car) and we saw the local castle and the attatched church, The castle is now used as a college. I will be going back there, so more to come on that end. We saw a second church as well and a beautiful ornate watertower. A little aside, both churches were catholic but one was "old" Catholic whilst the other was "Roman" Catholic. Now I never new there was an Old Catholic church (faith wise) and I found this very intriguing and it is something I want to look more into. I know all about the Roman Catholic church since I grew up Roman Catholic. Anyways, we have been up to Rammstein and Darmstadt and Burg Frankenstein. The scenery is beautiful and I have a goal to start taking my camera with me so I can share these wonderful expieriances. We have only eaten out 3 times. We have eaten at a bakery, a cafe, and a chinese take out place. Oh I lie, there is a sandwich called a Donner that is quite tasty that we have had too. It is Turkish and they are street venders and there is a little place on base that sells them too. There is even a McDonner (lol). The mister had Mcdonald's here. He liked it better then the US ones. Beer is good and I have not found a wine that I like yet. That is it so far. I will do some more typing at a later time. For those friends of mine that like me, Vonage is up and running and our Virginia number works so you can give us a call. We are 6 hours in the future so mind your manners, hehe. I hope to do some talking soon.

No comments: